It is a small town in the eastern Bhutan but is often used as a commercial hub, as is often frequented by the people in the east and the hilly people from Merak, Sakteng, Radhi. It serves as a mid point of junction with road connecting to Samdrup Jongkhar to the South of Bhutan and then connecting to the Indian state of Assam.
This dzong is built on a very steep hill overlooking the river of Drangme Chhu. The dzong was built by Kudung Pekar Choephel in 1659 on the site which was originally planned by Trongsa Penlop Minjur Tenpa. Tashigang Dzong means ‘Fortress of auspicious mount’.